Sunday, June 1, 2008

Final

To think I had not seen a “futbol” (soccer) match in several years…

Sunday started with my parents’ phone call; mi sister read about Pinka’s accident and called them to tell them about it. They wanted to check on her and confirm it was not a major injury (it wasn’t) and to talk to her a little bit. My father told me my aunt from Guadalajara (where I lived the first five years I lived there) won one of the cars from a bank promotion; she made the guys really sweat it to give her the price because she did not believe them.

We then took advantage of an early wake up call and took off to the new “Pretty Plaza” mall; we had not been there since they opened the B0rders and wanted to go browsing for a while. Vicky was not here, she went to Rosarito yesterday for... (after Maria's comment confirmed my amnesia) a party with her best friend and stayed there until Sunday'a afternoon.

We got there at 10:00 am, of course everything was closed; we did not remember they open at 11:00 am on Sunday! We got a wheelchair for Pinka with the help of a very nice lady that arrived early for work (Pinka can navigate with the crutches, but it is tiresome for her after a while [and for me soon thereafter!]) and stop at the St@rbucks for some coffee.

After that we shop a little and then headed to B0rders; got hungry in the way and stop for lunch. We got some books for the kids (Black Beauty, Anne from Green Gables, The Complete Jane Austen books) and headed home after that.

Remembered there were almost no groceries at home (we lost the fridge on Thursday, but was returned [repaired] on Saturday… hey!!! Thursday!!) and stop at a small store that sells many “organic” foods. Got seeds, some snacks, fat-free and soy milk and a six pack of “organic” beer (I have to post about beer!).

Arrived home and there is no Vicky; continue adding books to my list (I am at 290!) and then, while surfing the TV I ran into the futbol final (soccer)!

I have a confession to make; I am an America fan. For a while, when I lived in Guadalajara I considered polite to have also a Guadalajara team and since I could not follow neither Chivas (sworn enemy of America!) or Tecos (they are sponsored from a different university than the one I attended) I decided to follow Atlas (which is supposedly the team with the most faithful fans in Guadalajara, if not Mexico). But after I moved to Tijuana, I did not follow “futbol” enough. Most of my friends here are Chivas’ fans (and interested only on Chivas’ matches) and America’s matches (in 1995) were at 10:00 am on Sunday (and after a night in Sr. Fr0g’s, who could wake up that early?). I had not watch “futbol” since then.

So, I did not have a personal interest in the match; except for the courtesy to will and Maria (they are Santos fans) and also my wife’s relatives that lived in Torreon and follow the team; I decided to cheer for Santos. I got into the game really late; only watched the last 15 minutes, but being the final, it was do or die! Santos was ahead 1-0; and just like that Cruz Azul tied the game. The first leg of the home and away match ended with Santos having advantage of 2-1, so if Cruz Azul scored again the match would go to overtime. Of course if Santos scored the match would end almost immediately. Really exciting last 10 minutes; I do not know about the rest of the match, but what I saw was really interesting. I missed the burned hand incident too; I would have to read about it.

Congratulations to Santos!

See you around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Third Paragraph: Vicky went to Rosarito yesterday for...? I won't be able to sleep now!

And yes, they asked someone who worked at the Corona stadium - we're getting a new stadium soon! - to move the trophy out of the sun. They key thing to see here is that it had been in the sun. A. Silver. Trophy. In. The. Sun. For. More. Than. One. Hour.

You would think this person would have thought about it. But. Hand on the base, which was fine, because I don't know what the base is made of, but apparently it wasn't that hot, and then, hand on the top. He lifted it, and so, heavy trophy, hot trophy, it must have been like picking up an iron.

His hand will heal, of course. And he'll have a great story to tell. But still.

Santos Campeones!

J.A. said...

Uppps!

I am fixing it now!!

And yeah, it will be a hell of a story!!