Sunday, August 24, 2008

Vacation is over (really?)

Was it not over like... two weeks ago?

Well, our vacation trip was over two weeks ago, but school vacation is finally over. Mediana and Pinka are back to school tomorrow. They are not so excited about it; in any case they are veterans of going back to school (Pinka goes to 3rd grade and Mediana to 6th grade), but in Mediana's case there are a couple of things that will happen this year to make it interesting.

1) This is her 10th and final year in this school; yes, she has attended since Nursery, until 6th grade all available grades there are in the school; so she is leaving. Going to Junior High, I think she is a little worried/excited over that. We are too. We already selected in which Jr. High we would like Mediana to be enrolled, so we have to be really careful not to miss the admission exam dates and all of the sort. In the other hand, we are sure it is going to be really emotional for her.

2) Will is going to be her teacher. Considering both my parents are teachers, and my mother taught me during 1st and 2nd grade I do not see anything strange about that. But in Mediana's case, is a little different. Because we are friends with him and Maria. I think she is getting more comfortable with the idea, but... at a times she looks unsure about it. I've told her there is nothing to worry about. We will behave and try not to be the overbearing parents with the addidional "complication" of being friends with the teacher. I know the feeling, but it was not a big problem for me. In any case I really believe it changes nothing. Work and life are two different things (what is what Will uses to say? "I work for a living, I do not live to work", this is it!).

So, not a big deal. The biggest deal of the vacation being over is that the practice books for both the kids did not arrive!! Bonita went to review the material on Thursday (for Mediana) and Friday and both days she ended up being the "bad" mother that did not take care of her children school requirements! On Thursday because she forgot ALL the books, the photographs and something else; and on Friday because the practice books were not here (they still are not here! I need to call the service department of the website where I bought them!) Big disappointment for all the other mothers! (Most of the mothers at the school are a little snob, and in some cases very! They look down on you when you are not "perfect"!).

In other vacation news, Pinka went to audition for a part in a Mexican movie. When Bonita asked her how it went, her answer was: "I will not repeat the audition, if you want to see what happened wait until I appear in the movie". Talk about self-confidence!!

Also, yesterday Mediana and Pinka restarted their art lessons (painting and drawing) on Saturday. Which means we will be stuck on that for the whole year; I do not really like the schedule, I rather take them on weekdays, but this is the schedule they like and in this particular case we prefer to go along with this. Maybe we will stop going to the US on weekends! (That could save some money, you know!).

And finally, I have been really busy at work. I was away two weeks; and even though I spend maybe 1 hour daily on the phone and another hour reading and answering some e-mails during the vacation, the amount of pending issues that were waiting for me was amazing. Not only that, but I had corporate visitors and a customer quarterly meeting to host. In a room with over 20 people and no air conditioning. Have I mentioned that I sweat? and not just sweat, but sweat a lot? My shirt ended stained and I had to change it. For some strange reason I had a spare at the office, so I did it; finally I got a pass, from both corporate and the customer. I have to go to Massachussetts on November, but it will be fine. So, I am back on track; this next week is end of the month, besides the shipping/production rush we have to reduce manpower. 5 people need to be let go (euphemism for firing them). Never a good thing. So, wish me luck.

See you around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is scary for a child when their "two lives" collide. The reason we are friends is because you found my bog and then you commented - on a post about Medina. Her "fear" is that I will reveal her secret life - the life that she has control about. Her other fear is that I will also reveal secrets about her home life - yes, children tend to talk freely about their parents and Medina, quite happily, mentions you.

However, we are friends because we have stuff in common. We are friends because we can sit for hours and talk about things that interest us. You may (or may not) have noticed that in our discussions I make no reference to Medina. I talk about my job in general terms. I am a professional. This you know and accept because you are both adults. This is something that Medina will learn.

She will worry that I will reveal something before we meet and then, after, will discover that there is no "new information" that you can reveal. Slowly she will realise that I can keep her confidence and our relationship (Medina and I) is separate to our relationship (us and us).

Actually, if it will set her mind at rest, I am more scared than she! Hell, what if you want special treatment of your daughter? What if you *do* want me to talk about her? What if that wonderful bottle of tequila and the [mighty] Santos keyring were really bribes?

And now you are offended :^)

Nah. Life is what it is. As you say (I say), I work to live. Neither of us would abuse our friendship in that way. She will learn and come to terms with it.

On the flip side, just to settle Bonita's mind, she wasn't the "worst" parent. In fact there was only one (in 22) parent who had everything. And, to be honest, she was the funniest/honest parent when everything "went wrong". Those parents that you worry about their *perfection* tended to blame the kid, the maid, the poodle, the price of fish - it wasn't *their* fault. Bonita started with honesty and followed it up with several sh1ts! It was a highlight to a boring day. Do thank her.

See you tomorrow, 7:30, be hungry!