Thursday, July 17, 2008

Atone, alone.


I do not know. The story is OK, the characters lack some emotion but you can understand what is going on, the interactions seem to lack deepness, but in overall I do not think it is that bad. Of course; knowing that it comes from a book gives me a very low expectation of what it could be. I have to read the book now, I am sure there were many things left out and imagination works better when you are reading (at least for me).

Anyway; I got “Hard Candy” and yesterday night we started watching it. We were so tired that we got asleep in the first half hour. We will give it another go tonight.

The last two days I was in San Marcos, CA. And yesterday my boss wanted to have a conversation with me; but he does not like to be in the factory (the one in San Marcos, he likes to be here in Tijuana; go figures). So, he invited me for an early dinner at a Thai food restaurant. We did not make it there; since there were two more people invited, one of them (KC the sales guy) suggested we should go to the St0ne Bistro, next to the brewery. I was on the freeway when they called me and gave me directions to the place.

I’ve been considering stopping by a number of times, but did not have the will to do it. The reason being, they have a really good beer. And if I stopped by I would drink some. And then I had to drive to Tijuana later, maybe not a good idea to drive in US with alcohol in your blood stream. But, as the Mexican saying goes: “when the Captain gives orders, the sailors follow them” (this is a very loose translation, but that is the meaning).

There we were. The place is really good; it has tables inside and big window doors that open to the patio and gardens. Really good environment, there were a couple of families there (5:00 pm) and everybody was quiet and enjoying themselves. I was amazed at the number of available beers they have (I counted 105; 32 on tap and 73 on bottle) and the variety of them and the fact they changed the beer menu in a daily basis (I asked and they changed only 1 to 3 beers on tap daily and also a limited number of the bottled ones; so if you like one you have a good opportunity to repeat). The food is good; the mac’n cheese is really good and the onion rings are amazing. Everything is organic or with the least amount of conservatives; which I think this is supposed to be good.

I had a couple of beers (I couldn’t help myself here!); a Cucapa Chupacabras Pale Ale (the tap handle pictured in the middle) and an Arrogant Bastard (they had Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA on tap, but I was in control; could not let it happen; maybe next time!). And that was enough; I was tired (after the 10+ hours for each day on meeting) and didn’t want to risk myself a DUI or something like that.

In any case I headed home around 7:30, and by that time a lot of people were arriving carrying beach chairs and blankets, etc. Every Wednesday they have an event called “Late Night Movies” and people go and drink and watch movies in the garden! They were going to show “El Mariachi”. And then, the 12th anniversary party is coming (August 16th). It is a brewery meet, with food and beer tasting. You get a souvenir glass and the opportunity to try 10 different beers (is a 6 ounces glass, so overall you drink like 4 or 5 beers). I will be there again.

Well, today is a slow day; next week will be frantic (starting with the weekend; since my brother-in-law Arqui’s birthday is coming and we will celebrate Saturday or Sunday; I’m not sure now) and is month close week for us at work. But, vacations are a week away and we will surely enjoy them.

See you around.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Good golly - is that Britney Spears reading your blog??? Wow! I really must follow the links...

...mmmmmmm beer......

Anonymous said...

i get overwhelmed when presented with so many beer choices, and usually order whisky to settle the matter.

J.A. said...

Wow, I did not know that I could get her to read it; however, I am not sure it is a good sign (?).

And when presented with a boatload of choices of whisky; what is the preferred brand?

J.A. said...

Should I delete them? or since I believe in freedom of speech, should I keep them?

Funny true story; my wife was jelous because of the picture; she though it was for real (it got me in big trouble!!)

Anonymous said...

ah, i usually stick with Johnnie Walker Red or Black--depending on how big the check is that month. I used to be in love with those single malts, but in my years of consuming libation, I've figured out that blends are just as good and perhaps more complex. Dewar's is good. And for those "slim" days, "Grant's."

Anonymous said...

So. Is it because "you have a very impressive blog"? Or is it your poor credit? I know that always makes me jealous.

Personally I would delete the poor credit link, because it's annoying, and just there to improve the rank on google for the link. The britney spears one, though, is probably there because she wants you. Desperately. Go on, hit me baby one more time!

J.A. said...

OK, there we go; one down, I will keep Britney there, to lift my spirit if needed. Or if my wife decides to really take that seriously!!

On second thought; good riddance to both.