Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What is the opposite of “hibernation”?

Well, not exactly the opposite; what do you call it when because of the hot weather you enter in that sleepy mode similar to hibernation?

That has been the way I’ve felt for so many days. I start thinking about something to post and then when I get in front of the computer it goes away. I read something interesting (like this) and want to comment and I just cannot get myself to write the right comment (because OF COURSE it has to be the right comment!).

Finally I decided to give it a go. Let’s see where it takes us (yes, because you are reading this, aren’t you?)

I saw a really strange accident the other day. Well, it was more of a provoked car crash than an actual accident. This guy driving from the right side of the road, made a left turn in front of another car (cut him off?) and the second driver could not avoid him and crash (slightly) into him.

They then got off the cars and started talking and the first driver made a gesture like pointing out that the other guy cut him off previously… They were laughing and if it wasn’t because the cars were damaged I would have thought they were joking. They pulled their phones and started calling insurance (I think) but I was really intrigued. Of course I started to think about a post regarding “road rage”, but then I would have to accept that I am one of “those freaking drivers” that transform from somebody really nice (?) into a pushy, get-out-of-my-way driver. Well, I’ve got no patience for hesitant drivers. Once you start doing some maneuver you bloody finish it instead of stopping in the middle! But, let’s move away from this. It can end badly (for me!).

Pinka’s birthday party was another post (maybe still is, not at this moment). I was really surprised when only two of her classmates showed up for the party. We invited over 80 people, 40 showed up. Even in the informality we live in Mexico, when you get 50% of the attendance, I believe that is a new record low. I knew some of her friends from school went on vacation the previous day, but still there were many (I think) that could have gone. Special thanks to will and Maria that showed up with the kids and helped me out to consume the beers!

I got drunk (standard Mexican practice, you have alcohol at kids’ parties!) which also is another beginning for a post. I got drunk during my work’ summer picnic and now during Pinka’s birthday party. That is really unusual. I think my previous rate was once or twice a year. My wife is worried about me, actually I am a little worried about me… I am trying to find out a reason/cause/excuse for that to happen and I haven’t been successful yet. When I find the answer I’ll let you know.

Finally, the road trip. I kind of remember mentioning this. We will take a two weeks vacation; driving. We will go from Tijuana to Hermosillo; to Sinaloa; to Guadalajara; to the central part of Mexico (Guanajuato, Morelia, San Miguel Allende, Queretaro) and then return. The original plan was to get there quickly and then maximize our time in central Mexico. Now the plan is under review because we mentioned the trip to a friend from Los Cabos and we also mentioned that we would like to drive through the Baja. He then asked us why wouldn’t we do it this time. So we started taking times and investigating the ferry to La Paz and when we could take it and now; seems like we will return to Los Cabos and then drive back to Tijuana from there. It is a sketchy plan now, but if we pull it through we will have the opportunity to meet my new nephew (I have a brother living in Los Cabos) and see some of the prettiest beaches in Mexico. Let’s see what happens. (Red is for going and Blue is for returning in the map)

Well, we are at the end of today’s post. Only have to mention that today’s is (s)wine’s birthday and wanted to say “Felicidades!” to him.

See you around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, you might not have got drunk at the party if certain people hadn't turned up ad then failed to leave at the appointed time :^)

If I was you, I'd blame the foreigner :^) I always do.

J.A. said...

I would like to, but I heard that he is becoming Mexican by the minute.

Anonymous said...

thank you for the nice words...on your site and on mine. safe travels.