Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I was going to the movies…

OK, I went to see “Hellboy 2” last Friday (I took advantage of a loooong lunch break and also the fact nobody in my family wanted to see it with me) and last Sunday we went (the whole family) to see “Hancock”.

Hancock
Surprisingly enough, there were no “super” villains on this movie. Which makes it really interesting. In any superhero movie I’ve ever seen, there is someone with the skills or powers to counteract the superhero’s abilities. Not here. You can focus then, in what is going on with the person. Hancock is an alcoholic, irate, selfish person. With superpowers. Can fly, do not age, bullets cannot pierce his skin, etc; think of Superman. But then he is lonely. Until he saves a guy who wants to change the world and as a side project starts by trying to change Hancock. I will say no more of the story; but to me it was the best part of the movie.

The acting, direction, effects and everything else took a backseat to the story for me. I think Charlize Theron and Jason Bateman were good enough to carry their parts, and Will Smith was acceptable; he was believable, but something was missing.

Overall score: 7

HB 2: The Golden Army
This is a “love-it or hate-it” movie. I have to tell you that I love Guillermo del Toro as a director; I went to see “Cronos” in Guadalajara when he was starting his career and then followed him through “Mimic”, “Blade 2”, “El Espinazo del Diablo”, “HellBoy” and “El Laberinto del Fauno”. It had been one of my complains that he does not seem to work much directing (I know he has participated producing a lot more movies; but…).

Anyway; compared to HB 1, this movie lacks the fast pace and the “true” villain (Rasputin that time). However (as “Hancock” did) this allow you to pay more attention to the character and what he really thinks and the way he acts. Remember that HB is 60 years old, but mentally is like a teenager (as explained in the first movie). There are several sequences that show that, but the one that takes the price is when he and Abe Sapien get drunk while listening to Barry Manilow (!?!?!?!!!). Effects, makeup and the creativity to show that many characters (and the underground world that is hiding from us Humans) are the best. Reminded me a little of the Artemis Fowl’s universe.

I liked the movie a lot; the only “complaint” I have is that seems to me the ending was a little weak; I can only hope this was because there is a third movie on the works, but nothing has been “leaked” to the press, so I do not know.

Overall score: 8.5

And that’s the way it happened. By the way, since we are preparing for the road trip, I had been really busy lately and had not enough time to post more. I expect that to be corrected with the daily (hopefully) updates during the trip.

See you around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hellboy 2 was fun; for sure that director has an amazing imagination, reminded me a lot of his work in Pan's Labyrinth

Anonymous said...

am i the only one who thought Pan's Labyrinth was pretty weak? i think so. oh well.