Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day. May 10th in Mexico, and I do not know about other countries, except US (where Mother's Day is the second Sunday of May). In Mexico, mothers have such a stronghold over all of us that today is BIG. However, my wife likes to be different and not to bow to the commercial part of celebrations (Mother's Day, Valentine's, Christmas, etc. except her birthday; which is all other dates together, so DO NOT FORGET her birthday!!); so we are going to Mexicali to visit some family.

After we make all the calls and send all the messages congratulating all the mothers we know, we will leave. My in-law family is coming (mother, sister and brother) which creates a logistics problem; we have a 7-seater minivan and there are 8 of us. And Mexicali is 110 miles from here (using Mexican roads) so someone has to take the bus. I am all for it to let my brother in law to ride the bus; he is a man (big guy, 5'10" and around 200 pounds) so he should be fine. But since he is the baby in the family (my wife was the youngest until he was born, 20 years later!) is going to be complicated to convince my mother in law. Finally my wife decides (she is very good at that!!) that she and her sister will ride the bus (I do not see the logic here, but that is just me).

We will have a good time in Mexicali; I like the relatives there (my wife's cousin and his wife and kids; also another of my brothers in law lives there now) and it going to be a little hot (good time for beers), but it means I will give a report of the visit until tomorrow night (or Monday morning).

Congratulations to all the mothers and see you around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having never been to Mexicali I shouldn't comment - but whenever anyone mentions the place, they always add the comment: "IT'S HOT!!!"

Enjoy the beers, enjoy the company, enjoy the time away.

And yeah, I don't understand the logic either...but who are we (as mere males) to argue with the ones we love.

[Can you tell that I've been reading your Spanish blog and now know the word "mandilón". Thank you for the education!]