Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The mother of all what ifs.

How do you explain where life has taken you? or, is the other way around?

Which decisions have you taken that brought you where you are?

Which decisions OTHER PEOPLE took [to bring] brought YOU where you are?

A little more than a month ago, one of my very good friends (and for a while a roommate) passed away. He was 43. Had been diagnosed with terminal cancer more than a year ago. He was living in US since two and a half years ago; the company he worked for closed the design office in Guadalajara and invited him to move to Idaho. In there, he joined a team and a group of people he knew since long ago (from school and from work) and before the move he got married; so he was not alone, but I wondered for a while if he missed his family (even though one of his brothers was living and working there), his parents and sisters.

This is a very Mexican thought; same with the "what if" questions. I do not know how to answer.

My father went on vacation to Sinaloa (and still is there, 46 years later). My grand-grandmother decided to send my mother to Junior High School, at a time, a place and in a family where education for women was not prohibited, but neither considered completely OK.

Before that, my aunt and uncle from Guadalajara (physicians both of them) decided to wait for a job in Sinaloa, instead of Chiapas (I would be in the EZLN right now!); and when the "Miguel Hidalgo" dam was built my grandfather and his brother decided NOT to go to an "ejido" (communal property system for land that was much in vogue from the 40's to the 80's in Mexico) and instead moved to a "colony" where they were owners of the land.

I decided to come to TJ instead of looking for another job in Guadalajara or applying for a scholarship overseas (France was my first choice, England the second).

With all of that (here is the Mexican culture kicking in):

Did my friend died because he decided to go to Idaho?

See you around.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I sometimes regret some of the choices I've made - or the ones that have been made for me. I had a friend who used to say "you have to decide to do things before life decides for you". Funnily enough - although it's not funny to him, I'm sure - he's alone and bitter about it now. Life decided for him, apparently.

But. I know that the life I led brought me here. And even though here isn't perfect, it's as close to it as people could get, really. Was it worth it for him? That's what you really should think about. Was he happy? (call no man happy until he's dead, they say, well. Now's the time. On the whole, was he?) A friend of mine died the day after finishing University. He got his degree, he was getting married, he was happy. Died in a car crash on the way home.

I saw the girlfriend with his kid once. They looked happy. The boy looked just like him. Made me cry, but. He was happy. He fulfilled as many dreams as he had the time for. Sometimes that's what we have to look at.

I don't know if any of this is making any sense - and in the meantime, I am avoiding looking for a blogging topic of my own :( I hope you enjoyed MOPI. It's not a really good copy, but it might just be the incentive you need to either decide to get it or forget about it. Either way, it's motion.

J.A. said...

Let's keep moving then!

I have noticed you are dragging your feet on your blog, but since you have been writing for (what to me appears to be) a long time I think that is normal.

Thank you very much for the movie!! I sent an email to Will last night when I got it but I wanted to thank you directly.

I think he was happy, at least appeared happy in the last pictures I got from him (5 of us shared a house 16 years ago and 2 of the other 3 went to visit him 2 weeks before he died).

I do not complain about the life I am living (or I have lived), I think is kind of stupid to complain. Because either way, you deciding or you getting carried away from other's decisions, at the end you make the life you want to live.

Anonymous said...

some say America will kill you faster.

i love maria's comment. and your comeback too: "let's keep moving then."

it's the only thing we have.
by the way, you have been linked! fair warning to you, my friend. from now on, who knows what crazy people will be visiting you.

J.A. said...

Bring it on! The more the merrier! (Insert whatever cliche you like here!).

thank you (s)wine; I will do the same.